Saturday 8 August 2020

My Happy 9th Anniversary!

Well what can I say? I’m posting my 1,000th article today, though I have to admit that it is by design. I planned this year’s schedule specifically so that I could reach the magic 1,000 on this day, my 9th anniversary.

When I began my blog way back in 2011 I never thought I’d reach the start of my 10th year. It was never an intention to carry on after a couple of years. What changed my mind was the ever increasing number of readers and followers I built up over the months. It is with gratitude that I thank each and every one of you who read my blog, even if you get here by accident.

I’ve noticed a few changes over the years. My first articles were quite short. This was because I wanted to get as much information out there as possible, and I didn’t really make a plan for the future until I saw how the blog was received. It wasn’t long before I came up with the idea of doing an intermittent continuing series of articles on various subjects. The first was a series on the Greater Panathenean Games, which came about through a talk I was giving to a gay men’s support group here in Nottingham.

There was also the London Olympics, and I was beginning research into lgbt Olympians and lgbt participation in the games. London 2012 gave me the impetus to do more research. This is when I compiled my first list of lgbt Olympians. As I mentioned a few days ago, the list is rapidly approaching the 400 mark (another name has been added since then, a rower).

This research led to me becoming a member of the International Society of Olympic Historians, the organisation affiliated to the International Olympic Committee and recognised as the “official” body for research into the Olympics.

On many occasions I have let my own personal interests influence what I write – it is my blog, after all. These interests have included family history, heraldry, and vexillilogy (flags).

I can understand why some people don’t think these subjects are significant to lgbt history, but just look at the Rainbow Pride flag and the many gender and sexuality flags there are out there. My next flag article will be on World Vexillology Day on 1st October when I’ll write about a special project that has collected over 100 of them.

Heraldry may seem to be an archaic subject, but if that is the case why have there been more coats of arms granted and adopted in the past 50 years than in the previous 500? My heraldry articles have also attracted comment and requests. I’ve been asked to do commissions, but I’ve turned them down because I know that there are better heraldic artists out there. Several armigers (people who have a coat of arms) have also contacted me to ask if I could include their coat of arms in my annual Heraldic Alphabet. I’ve been glad to.

In June I was contacted by the Australian Heraldry Society who were including an article on lgbt heraldry in their members’ journal. I like to think that my articles influenced their own. They wanted to include my original representation of Sir Elton John’s coat of arms which I produced for this blog, to which I gladly consented.

My family history research has also been appreciated by readers. In particular I’d like to mention my debunking of the Mail on Sunday’s claim of an American royal claimant to the British throne. The claimant in question contacted me to thank me for my research into his family. This led directly into research for my “Game of Gay Thrones” series. Initially I thought this would be a one-off article but I’ve found enough lgbt claimants and pretenders for a fifth article next year.

Another result of my genealogical research was an approach from the sister of a recently deceased lgbt Olympian who wanted to include my research in the biography of her brother that she was writing.

While writing my blog I have researched many subjects that I had absolutely no interest or knowledge of beforehand. This is best illustrated in the three “80 Gays Around the World” series I have produced. I would never have researched the colours of the uniform worn by the American Revolutionary soldiers if it hadn’t been for sculptor Anne Seymour Damer’s political activities, for example.

As well as covering well-known events and reviving forgotten stories my blog has given me a chance to recognise that not all lgbt history you read or hear about from activists is necessarily true. They only tell you what they want you to hear.

When I started this blog I was led to believe from lgbt activists that: 1) Harvey Milk was the first openly gay person elected to public office in the USA (there were 3 openly lgbt public officials elected in Illinois before him); 2) drag queens started the Stonewall Riot (they didn’t, they weren’t there until the riot was well under way – they’ve said so themselves); and 3) New York City held the first modern Pride March (if you ignore the Candelora parade in Italy dating back to 1256, the first Pride march was in Chicago).

I also get a little upset when people write themselves into someone else’s history. That second point is an example. Yes, drag queens were at Stonewall, but they didn’t start it or play a more significant part than anyone else. They have enough pioneering history of their own without pushing someone else out of theirs. The first self-identified drag queen in America was a gay, freed black slave. His story and struggles are more relevant to them and so many human rights issues of today in the USA than leading the Stonewall riots.

Whatever we think about historical events, whatever side or angle we take, our opinion of history is only formed by contemporary attitudes. We are all involved in making history, our own and our predecessors. Recent events have brought forward many revisionist views of our past and its people. Added to this is the work of academics and archaeologists who present new information which also change our views. A phrase I’ve often used when talking to friends is “history is always changing” and no-one can guarantee that what we think today will be acceptable in the future.

We live in a time where more of the past is revealed, recorded and accessible than at any other. Debate and controversy over what happened in the past helps us to understand the lives and attitudes of the people who lived there. It is also very easy for politicians and militants to manipulate history to promote their own agenda because there will always be someone who’ll listen.

I hope that my blog has been honest, not covering up or changing history to suit my own agenda, if I ever have one. I’ve tried to cover the good and bad in lgbt history, and I will continue to do so for another year. There have been a handful of mistakes and wrong information, I admit, but I’ve tried to correct them. Overall I think I’ve provided a fresh look at our lgbt heritage.

Please continue to read my blog and, once again, thank you for you interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment